Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Keepin' Things Shiny


I usually clean my wedding rings once a week on Sundays before church.  They look all snazzy (i like that word, just don't know if it's a real one) and I love to look at them shine in the light.  If you look closely, you can see reflections in the gold.  As we travel Wednesday to Wednesday, living life with other couples, and seeking to strengthen our marriages, God reminded me of the process by which I clean my rings.  I let them soak in a jewelry cleaning solution, then, with the brush provided, I clean all the cracks and crevices that have accumulated dust, dirt, lotion, soap scum and hair.  I then rinse them and buff them with a towel to get them shiny.

God gave me this simple truth...Our marriages need soaked and brushed, so as to get all the gunk out, rinsed and cleansed, and buffed and shined.  Is this a one time chore?  Of course not.  In order for my rings to stay clean, I have to wash them regularly.  In order for my marriage to stay clean, I have to take necessary steps, communicating with Mike every day, setting aside time for "us" (not with kids or other couples), talking through and not stuffing hurt feelings, places where we don't agree, and things will help us grow.  Praying together has been one of the staple things that Mike and I as "one" can't do without.  It had been awhile since we had had an official date, but last week, we took time out, carved time out, stole time for us, and it was a great way to "shine up" a marriage that we cherish and want to fight for every day. 

I encourage you...take the well deserved time to shine up your marriage!  The blessings are immeasurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment